Woman tasered after brandishing kitchen knife at police in Newcastle home

A woman who had to be tasered when she brandished a kitchen knife at police inside her Newcastle home has avoided jail.

Shahida Hussain was under “extreme stress” having only recently moved to the UK from abroad when officers were called to a disturbance at the house she shares with her husband, in Fenham.

After initially refusing to let the constables in, the 47-year-old ran to he kitchen and pulled a knife from a drawer, a court heard.

Hussain then brandished the weapon at officers and only dropped it after they were forced to deploy a taser.

Now, Hussain, of Wingrove Gardens, in Fenham, has been fined and given a 12-month community order after she pleaded guilty to assaulting an emergency worker during a hearing at North Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Ben Woodward, prosecuting, said police attended Hussain’s address on March 22 – the day before the national coronavirus lockdown – after reports of a disturbance.

Mr Woodward continued: “The defendant initially prevented them from entering. They eventually forced entry and the defendant went into he kitchen and grabbed a knife from a drawer.

“The defendant brandished it at the officers and only put it down after being tasered by an officer.”

The court heard that Hussain, who has no previous convictions, had been struggling with “extreme stress” because of her recent move to the UK.

Mark Richardson, mitigating, said: “She had recently moved to the UK to start a new life. Simply moving house is supposed to be one of the most stressful experiences someone can go through in their life.

“She not only moved country but moved continent to a country where she does not speak the language.

“She had a very difficult domestic situation – her husband is significantly older and has health problems – and this incident was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

“The involvement of police was frightening and alien to her and she displayed an extreme overreaction and she’s very ashamed of her actions.”

As well as the community order, Hussain was fined £100 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £95 victim surcharge.

Source Article