Built about 1700 on the old Boston Post Road, Darien’s Pond-Weed House is a classic Connecticut saltbox with a large stone central chimney and sloping rear lean-to roof-line. It is considered the oldest house still standing in Darien.
In 1692 Nathaniel Pond who was listed as a “Blacksmith of Branford” bought the land on which the Pond-Weed house is located near the ford and former sloop landing on the Noroton River. Settlements began in Darien in about 1700 when the first roads were “Cut in the woods.”
The Noroton Cove settlement that eventually became Darien included a sawmill built by a dam on the Noroton River, a small shipyard on the shore of Holly Pond – and Nathaniel Pond was the blacksmith. By 1703 a school district was established.
Soon after the Pond-Weed House’s initial structure was built, several additions were made to the central framing resulting in a two … Read More