Showing: 1 - 6 of 6 RESULTS

GOP senator defends not wearing a mask at Rose Garden Supreme Court event

Tennessee Republican Marsha Blackburn appeared on ABC’s “The View.”

GOP Sen. Marsha Blackburn, who attended the White House Rose Garden event two weekends ago now tied to at least 14 coronavirus cases, on Thursday defended her decision not to wear a mask at the event.

During an appearance on ABC’s “The View,” Blackburn, a Tennessee Republican, said that while the event is a good reminder to Americans to take precautions, she was tested right before the event and behaved safely.

“I had been tested right before I went to the event I had my mask on and actually had it there on my arm when i walked into the event,” Blackburn said. “I took it off to walk into the event but you know it’s a great reminder to us wash your

Read More

Pence defends Rose Garden event and administration’s COVID-19 response

Vice President Mike Pence was immediately put on the defensive at the vice presidential debate with Senator Kamala Harris on Wednesday evening, as he was asked to defend the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed 210,000 Americans and infected over 7 million, including the president himself.

Pence defended President Trump’s decision to nominate Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court at a ceremony at the Rose Garden on September 26, where there was no social distancing and limited mask-wearing. Several of the attendees of the event have since tested positive for COVID-19 in addition to the president and first lady Melania Trump, including multiple White House officials.

Pence said many of the people who attended the event “actually were tested for coronavirus,” and added the ceremony was outdoors. However, the president also held an indoor reception, where very few people were photographed wearing masks.


Harris

Read More

Pence Defends Amy Coney Barrett Rose Garden Event Because It Was Outside And Attendees Were Tested Beforehand

Topline

With Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination ceremony at the White House increasingly looking like a superspreader event of coronavirus infections, Vice President Mike Pence defended the gathering Wednesday at the vice presidential candidates’ debate, arguing that it was outdoors and attendees were tested beforehand—but there was a portion of the event held indoors and health experts say testing or being outdoors doesn’t mean attendees should disregard safety guidelines on social distancing and wearing masks.

Read More

Pence defends ‘outdoor’ Rose Garden event linked to coronavirus spread

The Daily Beast

White House Quietly Told Vets Group It Might Have Exposed Them to COVID

On the same day President Donald Trump acknowledged contracting the coronavirus, the White House quietly informed a veterans group that there was a COVID-19 risk stemming from a Sept. 27 event honoring the families of fallen U.S. service members, the head of that charitable organization told The Daily Beast.The White House warning, which came on Oct. 2, is the earliest known outreach to visitors of the complex that there was a risk of coronavirus emerging from the grounds where the president, the first lady, and at least 17 of his aides, according to Politico, have now tested positive for the virus.The Sept. 27 event to honor Gold Star families came the day after the White House hosted a celebration for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett that appears to have been an early source

Read More

White House defends Trump, says he is ‘projecting an image of strength’ amid battle with coronavirus

The White House is defending President Trump as he fights coronavirus, saying that he is “projecting an image of strength” and wants Americans to get back to “normal life safely.”

The president returned to the White House on Monday evening after being discharged from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and is continuing to receive treatment for COVID-19.

TRUMP, FIGHTING CORONAVIRUS, SAYS HE IS ‘LOOKING FORWARD’ TO DEBATE ON OCT. 15

Upon arriving at the White House from Marine One on Monday evening, the president walked out onto the Truman Balcony overlooking the South Lawn, removed his face mask, and saluted military officers as Marine One departed the grounds. Critics took swings at the president, claiming the move was irresponsible.

“At times like this, in these moments, it is highly important for the commander in chief to express confidence to our domestic population, and it is very important, to our

Read More

White House Defends Trump’s Drive-By Greeting: ‘Appropriate Precautions Were Taken’

The White House is defending President Trump’s decision to briefly leave Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Sunday — despite his coronavirus diagnosis — to wave to his supporters from an SUV, saying his medical team had cleared the activity “as safe.”

“Appropriate precautions were taken in the execution of this movement to protect the President and all those supporting it, including PPE,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement late Sunday.

“The movement was cleared by the medical team as safe to do,” he added.

Trump’s brief drive-by, during which he wore a mask and was seated in a sealed Chevy Suburban along with two people in face coverings, drew the ire of critics and some medical professionals who accused the president of putting others’ health at risk for the sake of political theater. 

“This is insanity,” said Dr. James P. Phillips, an attending physician at

Read More